The costs of buying a home can add up, so it makes sense that you are looking for ways to reduce your moving expenses. Instead of spending a lot of money on the movers, you can save that money for new furniture, home décor, or a grill to put on the back porch. Here are a few tips to help you reduce the moving costs:
- DIY Packing: If you have time and friends or family to help, consider packing and driving the small items by yourself. There’s no reason why you need to pay a lot of money for someone to box up your personal items. Plus, DIY packing gives you the opportunity to evaluate your items so that you can take unused items to the donation center.
- Cheap or Free Moving Supplies: You don’t need to buy brand new boxes at the local home improvement store. Talk to friends and family to see if you can find anyone with boxes that you can use. Another option is to look on Craigslist where you might find someone giving away boxes that were used for a recent move. Call around to the local grocery stores to see if you can gather up any free boxes.
- Protect Your Valuables: One unanticipated cost of moving is damage that might occur to your valuable items. Consider putting the valuable things in the back of your car instead of loading everything into the moving truck. For example, you can wrap the flat-screen TV in blankets or the original packaging and store it in the back seat of the car for transportation.
- Ask for Help: Many neighbors, friends, and family are willing to help if you ask. You might use a combined effort of a moving company with friends and family to reduce the time the movers spend on site. Or, talk to people with big cars and trucks who can help you move.
- Be Flexible: It is common for moving companies to charge a premium on weekends and holidays. Schedule your move on a weekday to get the lower rates if they are offered. Also, try to avoid moving during peak traffic hours. Since the movers are usually paid by the hour, your bill will be high if the moving truck is sitting in traffic on the way to your new home.
These tips might seem small, but you can save hundreds or even thousands of dollars by adjusting your moving plan. If you are looking for other ways to save money when buying a home, then you need to talk to our team at DUFFY Realty. We offer low-cost real estate commissions that save families an average of $9,000 on fees and commissions. Call to learn more about the options that are available when you are ready to buy or sell a home in Atlanta: (678) 318-1700