You don’t need to increase the square footage in your property to create a home that is spacious and comfortable. A little bit of design magic can go a long way to open up your rooms and give you the feeling that you are living in an open floorplan.
One area that should be considered is the design and layout of your bathroom. Here are a few tips to help:
- Add Mirrors: It is common for a mirror to be placed over the sink, but that doesn’t need to be the only location for mirrors in the room. Look for other wall space where mirrors can be installed. Multiple mirrors help to increase reflected light and make the room feel bigger.
- Improve the Lighting: Not only should you add brighter lightbulbs; also consider replacing the light fixtures. When the room is dark, it will feel smaller than it actually is. On the other hand, bringing in more light will brighten the corners and improve the feeling of the room.
- Repaint the Walls: Another option to brighten the bathroom is to add a lighter shade of paint on the walls. Use the same color of paint on the walls and ceiling. When different paint colors are used, then it chops up the space into different sections, making it feel smaller.
- Improve Storage and Clutter: One of the fastest ways to make a bathroom look small is by filling the counters and cupboards with a lot of stuff. Look for ways that you can streamline the storage systems to avoid storage containers that stick out from the walls. Also, get rid of anything that isn’t used regularly. If you aren’t using the item, then don’t store it in the bathroom.
- Glass Doors: Consider the option to install a glass door on the shower. Swinging doors and shower curtains block off half of the room, making a small bathroom feel smaller. On the other hand, glass is a great solution so that you can protect the bathroom from the water without closing off the space. For the best results, choose a clear, frameless shower door and skip the frosted glass and bulky hardware.
- Eliminate Cupboards Under the Sink: A pedestal sink is a way to remove some of the bulk in the room. If you don’t have much to store in the vanity, then a pedestal is the way to go so that you can use a smaller amount of space.
DUFFY Realty is here to help you create the home of your dreams. Whether you are preparing to sell your current home or you want to make a few changes to a home that you are buying, these tips can be used to make the bathroom look great. Contact us any time for more information about the ways that you can improve your home before selling without spending a lot of money on major renovations: (678) 318-1700