Making a Home Irresistible
for an Open House
1. Add a touch of color. Use fresh or silk flowers to breathe life and
color into the main rooms. A colored afghan or throw on the couch will
jazz up a dull room.
2. Make the bathrooms feel luxurious. Put away those old towels and
toothbrushes. When buyers enter your bathroom, they should feel
pampered. Add a new shower curtain, fresh towels, and fancy guest
3. Does it smell fresh? Set out potpourri or fresh baked goods for a
homey smell. Make sure that there are no lingering scents from
cigarettes or pets.
4. Help them envision living there. Set the table with pretty dishes
and candles, and create other vignettes throughout the home to help
buyers picture themselves there. For example, in the basement lay out
a chess game.
5. Beautify the entrance. Buy a fresh doormat with a pretty pattern or
a clever saying.
6. Make the rooms feel bigger. Take one or two major pieces of
furniture out of every room to create a sense of spaciousness.
7. Accentuate counter space. Put away kitchen appliances and personal
bathroom items to give the illusion of more counter space.
8. Lay logs in the fireplace. Or put a basket of flowers there if it’s
not in use.
9. Depersonalize the rooms. Put away family photos, mementos, and
distinctive artwork. Potential buyers have to be able to imagine
themselves in your home, and it helps them imagine fitting in if they
have a depersonalized canvas before them.
10. The lawn should sparkle. Turn on the sprinklers for 30 minutes to
make the lawn sparkle.